Thursday, August 4, 2011

It Has Begun

Well, school is officially underway, and while we've hit a few speed bumps already, things are going pretty well.

M1: 
Positives:  He's very proud of being a 'third grader.'  He really liked that he got to make ice cream on his first day of school.  He really likes that he has a two classes taught via DVD - math and Spanish.  He really enjoys the new day planner that I have filled out so he can see what he still needs to do and what he has accomplished each day.  His handwriting has improved over the summer, and he's excited about learning cursive.

Problems to work on:  He's already starting to have trouble getting up in the morning.  This was a chronic problem last year, and I know this is only going to get worse on Wednesdays and Fridays after he's been up late after swim.  I'm not sure what we're going to do about this, but something will have to be worked out.  I need to also make some quick, easy-to-do activities to do in between subjects - 1 minute of jumping jacks or 30 seconds of spinning, for example.  Something to break up the monotony.  I may still put him into a homeschool gym class to help with the restlessness, too.

M2:
Positives:  She's very proud of being a first grader.  She is very happy to have the same teacher again and is extremely glad to see her friends.   She's excited about being one of the more advanced students and doesn't seem to have any problems with her first-grade class and the kindergarten class being combined.  She's happy to bring her lunch to school each day, which is great since I plan to send it most days because her cholesterol did go down over the summer.

Problems to work on:  She's going to have to have all homework assignments written out.  She nearly lost it last night when she learned that she hadn't done her work properly (the teacher sent out an e-mail with directions).  I talked to the teacher this morning, so all should be well from now on.  I suspect she's also going to have the same friend trouble she's had the last two years, in which she is stuck between two girlfriends who adore her but who cannot stand one another.  I remember having similar problems as a child, and I have little advice to give her.  We'll see how it plays out.

2 comments:

Brilliant Creations said...

OMG, do these "girl friend" problems ever stop. I guess the answer is no. :( I'm just starting to plan school, we're starting in Sept. I think I'm beginning to look forward to it! See you guys soon!!! xo xo xo

Mom on the Verge said...

Sounds like you're off to the races! Have fun!!