Friday, August 26, 2011

Random Friday-ness

I am sitting at home today.  I have nowhere I have to be at a certain time.  The third load of laundry is in the washer; load 1 is dry and waiting to be put away and load 2 is hanging on the rack.  I plan to clean the house today, but if it doesn't happen I'm not too concerned because the grime hasn't yet reached critical mass. 

The inactivity is lovely.

The best part about not having any appointments and not having to run all over creation (besides the obvious fact that I'm not sitting in one of multiple construction zones that plague our area worse than anything God cooked up for Moses) is that I can sit down and recap my week.  Closure is good.

1.  M1 has been stellar.  When we had to be out of the house and run errands, he didn't whine once.  He put up with our entire grocery list (all $250 worth) and didn't bug me for products or stop in the middle of an aisle and start whimpering about how tired he was.  He busted a move and got all his schoolwork done before we had to leave for swim yesterday, which is no small feat.  I think the boy deserves a treat today.  I'm debating whether we'll go out for lunch or just giving him ice cream at home.  Either way, he's earned it.

2.  I'm very glad that I didn't sign M1 up for homeschool gym or banjo lessons and that M2 has accepted my decision that dance class isn't going to happen.  More on nixing the dance class in a second, but my schedule is already tight.  I hate feeling overscheduled, and I'm right on the verge as it is.  One more could send me over the edge.

3.  M2 lost a tooth, as most of you know.  The other top tooth was already loose, but she discovered today that two bottom teeth are loose as well.  She's ecstatic.  I'm thinking the corn on the cob slated for dinner one night this week is probably not a great idea for her.  Or maybe it is.  She's all about speeding up the process.

4.  M2 is still getting very worked up about violin, to the point where she will barely practice.  I think it will be good to get back into lessons once September starts.  I hope she'll manage to make a performance happen in December.  I'm definitely glad I didn't put her in dance class, because I can only imagine the drama that would accompany a dance recital.

5.  Speaking of drama, M2 sent me my first letter bomb this week.  We have envelopes stuck to our bedroom doors for letters and crafts that we can send to one another (and yes, I participate), and M2 wrote me a nastygram reading: "Mom, I hate you.  You er stuped."  This was delivered with two dirty socks that she had ripped off her feet.  I was amused.  For the record, I still don't know what I did wrong, but I do know that her hobby horse now lives in my closet because it's a bloody miracle my bedroom door doesn't have a giant hole in it.  When the girl gets into a rage, she gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'beating down a door.'

6.  I do believe that resorting to locking myself in my bedroom to escape my daughter's rage is probably cause for concern.  So is having to follow her around the yard because she's in such a negative mental state that I don't trust her out of my sight and actually believe she would leave the property... NOT safe on our street.  I think I'll be bringing our mood chart and a different set of expectations to the next appointment with the psychiatrist or psychologist, whichever comes first.

7.  I hope everyone on the Eastern Seaboard stays safe this weekend.

I like Friday :)

No comments: