Thursday, June 17, 2010

And now for something completely different!

OK, I've bogged this blog down with the deep, dark, secret insides of my world for the past three days, so I'm really feeling the need to lighten things up a bit.

So here's a good one. Did you know that this blog, for whatever odd reason, now has 26 people listed as followers? TWENTY-SIX! I'm amazed. I keep thinking that sometime people are going to realize that this blog is just a very odd little corner of the world and serves no real purpose and bail on me, but then one more person adds themselves and I find myself amazed all over again. THANK YOU!! You are the reason I write! Well, that and I can't make myself keep a journal, but apparently a blog is another story altogether. And my husband likes to tell me that for every person following, there's probably another person out there reading who just doesn't 'follow.' Which is fine by me. I just love you all!

And to prove it, I'm going to share with you my top 5 favorite movies of all time. Or at least for this year, until something else comes out and I like it better.

I'm fickle like that.

So here goes:

1.


There's nothing like this movie. I don't care for horror movies. I don't care for movies where there's all action and no plot. But I. LOVE. This. Movie. I can't help it. I bought it for Oz, but quite honestly, I'm the one who usually pulls it out. In fact, I watched it last night, which is how it made #1 on the list and why I'm writing this post in the first place. I giggle every time I hear the words "Fascist" and "Hag!" I'm sorry. You'll have to watch the movie to understand.

2.


Jessica Tandy cracks me up. She reminds me of my own grandmother - you know, the one with the farmhouse in impeccable condition who gave me her Frankoma - and even sounds like her on occasion. She doesn't miss a lick. Just substitute Lutheran for Jewish, and you've got it, right down to the floral dresses and weekly hair appointment and the do-it-just-so-and-that's-MY-way attitude. Tough old birds, yes, but they do know how to run everything and run it well. I tell Oz that after my grandmother passes, I'll have to watch this movie to remember her by.

3.


I love Sandra Bullock in her romantic comedies, but I think this one is my favorite. Two Weeks' Notice is probably second, but The Proposal still wins. I'm not sure if it wins on its own merits, the fact that it deals with getting married fast to deal with immigration, or... the fact that it stars Betty White. Because Betty White's performance ranks right up there with getting to see Ryan Reynolds' rear end. Which is another bonus. Oh, and I love the dancing scene because the song that Sandra's character sings is a very... um... *interesting* club song (not that I'd know from personal experience lol) and if they hadn't been clever at editing it, this movie would have to have been rated R.

I'm just sayin'.

4.


Honestly, the only reason this movie made the list is because it made me cry. Hard. Almost to the point of sniffles. And I don't cry at movies. I didn't want to see this movie at all, because I'm not a sappy movie person (Have you worked out I'm picky about movies yet?), but one of my friends insisted I see it and brought it over. I watched it, and to be honest, I didn't care for the first part... but then it gets good. It hooks you. And then, before you know it, you're bawling like... OK, well, you're crying. I don't know what makes most people cry because I don't often cry, but I cried at this movie. And I'm not ashamed to say it.

5.


I had a hard time picking #5. There were several contenders. This one won simply because of what it is. It's Monty Python, and I love Monty Python works. I love spouting quotes and songs and other tidbits from this movie. How many people can't finish the quote, "Your mother was a hamster..." It sustains me on nights when I want something intelligently stupid to watch and TV doesn't provide that (though "House" does a nice job). It's a classic.

Now... What I want to know is... What are your top 5 movies du jour?
MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL

THE NOTEBOOK

THE PROPOSAL

DRIVING MISS DAISY

HOT FUZZ

1 comment:

Mom on the Verge said...

Number 1: Moonstruck, hands down. I just adore that movie. Great music, wonderful views of NYC, an incredibly sexy Nicholas Cage, and an incredibly sappy love story. It always makes me want to be Italian.

Number 2: Shrek. Again, great music, great scenery, and ancredibly sappy love story. Always makes me want to be an ogre.

Umm. We don't watch many movies, so I'm just going to list the other three movies I've ever seen.

Shakespeare in Love, umm, and that's it. I liked Man from Snowy River...

The only movie I have ever seen that I hated, just despised, was The Family Stone. The Husband and I got out for an entire evening, and went to see the "feel good Christmas movie of 2009". I cried for three days. My eyes almost swelled shut. Bad.

Guess I won't be watching The Notebook any time soon.