Thursday, March 24, 2011

Blessed

Six years ago today, I gave birth to one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

It's hard to believe that she was born six years ago. SIX. How did I get so lucky as to have one wonderful child, let alone two?

Because this guy is equally wonderful.

I may not be a "churchy person," as M1 so eloquently put it, but I am still a very blessed person.

Today is a perfect example.

First, M2 waited patiently for everyone to get up before asking to open her gifts. She was so happy and grateful for what she got, even there weren't any "big" gifts. I'll have a proper birthday post tomorrow. M2 then asked what we were doing today and was very enthusiastic about going to see M1 at his swimming lesson, even though I know that she desperately wishes it was June so she could have swimming lessons, too, and attending his lesson meant that she wouldn't get to have a "home day" for her birthday.

After the swimming lesson, we went to the mall to pick up another gift for her (I wanted her to be present when we bought it). M1 wandered around the store and found something he wanted to get for his sister. It came out that he was very upset that he hadn't been able to buy her a gift. How sweet is that? Oz took him through the mall, and M1 found this:

He wanted to give that to her because she loves art and she's one of his best friends. *I* almost cried when he gave it to her, and she gave him a huge hug in thanks. They really are close for siblings who are so different in so many ways. I never was close to my sister as a child (my fault), and it's heartwarming.

After M1 presented his gift, both kids wanted to go outside. A few minutes later, they came back in and told me they had started getting the garden ready for me. Garden? Honestly, I had given up the idea of having a garden this year because it wasn't fenced and I knew marauding poultry would eat anything I planted. But the kids were weeding it and digging up the soil and getting everything ready to be planted. Even Oz fell under their spell.

I now have chicken wire running around my garden, and it's nearly all dug out.

My heart is so full of love for my amazing family. I can only hope that I can live up to the standards they're setting. How else can I deserve to be called "Mom?"

2 comments:

rowan said...

Beautiful!

Mom on the Verge said...

Nice!!! Happy birthday, M2!!