Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lifesavers

And on the 27th day, God created Chocolate. And He saw that it was good. He presented it to the Man, who, in turn, presented it to the Woman for immediate consumption. For without Chocolate, the Woman's anger had increased without reason, and the Man felt his life was in mortal peril, and he was sore afraid. - Book of Heretical Thoughts, Chapter 1

-----

OK, that had no bearing on anything whatsoever, but I'm in a bit of a chocoholic mood tonight and thought it needed a good story/quote to go with it. Plus, I am reasonably sure that the great I Am did indeed have a good deal to do with the invention of chocolate. I'm sure it's saved a lot of lives over the years.

-----

Speaking of lives, I'm pretty sure Oz helped save mine (and the kids') tonight... or, barring exaggeration, he definitely kept a potentially deadly situation from happening.

It's why I keep him, really. That and the Aussie accent. He's a good man.

Before we go further, let me do the whole DISCLAIMER bit: I've got nothing against Rottweilers or any other breed of dog, though I'm not a big fan of Chihuahuas on principle. I can't stand yappy dogs. Anyway, Oz's mother has two Rotties and Oz himself had one as a teen. They're great dogs.

This is pertinent because the folks across the street from us have a Rottie. This one is older. He's territorial. And during Snowstorm Round 2, Oz's wedding ring flew off his finger one morning while cleaning off his car. So I went out and looked for it. It was trash day, so I walked out to the road to look in the snow around the trash can. Just as I was walking back to the house, this dog decided I'd been out there long enough and came rushing at me, growling and SERIOUSLY upset. He stopped at the end of his driveway, but I had a hunch that was luck since I was headed back to the house already.

Fast forward to this weekend. I hadn't been able to get this incident out of my mind, so I told Oz about my concern that this dog was only going to get worse and that I was worried about his safety during mowing season as well as mine and the kids' on an everyday basis. I wanted to be able to go out to the mailbox ON OUR PROPERTY without having to worry about getting mauled!

Oz listened, but he wasn't sure how to approach the subject to the neighbors since the dog had never crossed the street.

Till today.

I was fixing dinner and looked out the kitchen window just in time to see the dog wander up to the fencepost at the end of our driveway. He sniffed. He peed. And then he sauntered INTO MY YARD. I was glad I had the dogs and the kids in the house. I shudder to think of what might have happened. I let Oz know that the dog was in the front yard, and he kept an eye on it. A few minutes later, he stepped out the front door onto the porch. The owner, our neighbor, was outside our fence trying to get the dog to come back, but the dog had no intention of listening (I've noticed several times before that he doesn't obey unless it suits him). Oz invited the neighbor into the yard to get the dog, and she did.

And then the dog started barking at Oz and lunged at him. Oz said he got within inches of him. Oz took a step back. The dog continued to press him. I don't even want to imagine what would have happened if that had been one of my kids; they would have turned and run, and that... that just doesn't bear thinking about. Anyway, Oz kicked the dog in the head. Then he told our neighbor politely but in no uncertain terms that it was NOT okay that this dog was in our yard and that he expected this problem to be taken care of.

Thankfully, our neighbor is a good one. She admitted that she knew the dog had been becoming an issue and that they were going to start keeping him penned around the back of their house (and since they are good neighbors, it'll probably be sooner rather than later after today's incident).

I don't want to say I'm glad that today's confrontation happened, but in a way, I am. Oz is, too. He's glad that he was able to take care of the issue in a peaceful way, without anyone getting upset or hurt. I'm just glad the dog will be penned.

-----

Stress makes me want chocolate. Thank heaven for chocolate chip cookie dough.

(P.S. If anyone has a thought to spare, if you could send a few up for my friend Megan, I'd appreciate it. She has a detached retina and is scheduled for surgery on Thursday. Scary stuff. Thanks.)

4 comments:

Habebi said...

First part- AMEN!

Second part- HOLY S***!! So glad Oz was there. The neighbor needs to be more responsible with that dog. I hope they follow through, especially after today.

Glad everyone is ok!

Mom on the Verge said...

Oh dear!! I'm such a wimp when it comes to dogs, and that's exactly why I don't like them. I just don't want anything in my house that's big enough to kill and eat me.

If I had a dime for every owner of every dog my kids have met that has said, "Gee, I'm so sorry -- he's never done *that* before!" I'd be rich... Autistic children + strange dogs = *bad*

Beth said...

YAY OZ!!! And I've seen that stupid dog do the run when I've been at your house to visit and it scared the crap out of me before (but it had never crossed the street) and I have BIG dogs.. That dog just ain't right..

Tina Michelle said...

HOw scary. I hope the owner of the dog takes it seriously and the dog stays in his own yard.