Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Week of Extremes

This past week has been a week of extremes. Either things have gone really, really well, or things have gone really, really badly.

It's made for a crappy week. I need to get it all out of my system, so here goes:

M1 has still not located his brain. This morning we found a Lego spear embedded into a couch pillow. He's enlarged one of the holes in his closet wall. We went to Lego Club on HIS REQUEST, and out of the 90 minutes we were there, I think he spent 5-10 in building something with Legos. The rest of the time was spent in making mewling noises while climbing under tables and/or eavesdropping and interrupting my conversations. He can't follow even the simplest of directions, and his ability to talk to strangers is getting more and more awkward and strained. He told me on Thursday that he 'can't' talk to new people any more. So now I am starting social lessons on small talk and how to make it. It's going to be a long, long process.

He's also been getting up in the middle of the night and roaming the house, apparently. We won't even get into what he did when he was up on Tuesday night, but we'll just say that I spent most of Wednesday in a very special level of hell that I wouldn't wish on any parent. Ugly, ugly place.

But he's also been incredibly snuggly. He gets frantic for attention at the end of the day and has enjoyed nothing more than pushing his head under my arm so I'll hug him. I know I'm only a year away - two at most - from when he won't let me do that any more, so I'll take it! Last weekend, he won the two ribbons at his swim meet. He's been studying the weather and enjoyed making his own forecasts. He's discovered the joys of Google and Wikipedia and has spent a few hours researching topics on his own. I am fully aware that robotics camp is a MUST for him this summer.

M2 has been unpredictable. Either she hates everyone and nobody at school will play with her and she just wants to go to bed and get away from everyone or she clings to me like a leech and won't let me out of her sight and insists that she help me with everything. We see the psychiatrist tomorrow for a checkup. That's good because I'm tired of not knowing whether I'm getting Jekyl (the happy-go-lucky girl who wakes up before her alarm, loves everyone and doesn't want me out of her sight) or Hyde (the Grumpy Gus who sleeps through her alarm, hates everyone and wants me to go the heck away) every day. This will be an object of discussion.

On the other hand, when she's good, she's very, very good. She helps me clean, fix meals, wants to read books, and is just great to be around. She doesn't argue with me over every little thing. And when we went to her violin solo festival yesterday, she got a 1, which means she can now compete at the state level! She doesn't compete against other kids, just herself, and she did beautifully. I was so proud of her.

So while the bad has often outweighed the good this week (outside factors were much of the negative), I can't really say too much. I just keep reminding myself that it could be so much worse!

1 comment:

Mom on the Verge said...

Oh my! I just skimmed, and it made me dizzy! I promise to read later when I have a whole brain!!

Good luck at M2's psychiatrist appointment. Really. Ask a lot of questions. Make them hear you. And let us know. Sounds like the should be able to do *something* for her.