Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Consequences of Studying Art with an Aspie

Today, in art, M1 and I discussed the term 'form.' We discussed how it signifies something three-dimensional and is therefore different from drawings or paintings. We discussed the terms height, width, and depth. We looked at a picture of a statue and made inferences from it. And then I asked M1 to make a sculpture. He, of course, first wanted to know what medium he was supposed to use. I was in a lazy mood and suggested Play-Doh.

"Can I make a snake?"

"No snakes. Nice try, Mr. McFly."

*grin*

He pulled out the red Play-Doh first, then black. He doesn't mix Play-Doh colors [any more], so I was curious to see what he uses he would find for those two particular colors. I watched for a minute and then forgot to pay attention since I was putting curtains into the dryer and cutting out a picture to put in a frame. Then I heard my name.

"Mom? I'm done, but it's not portable. You have to come see it."

I came.

Honestly, at first, I thought it was some sort of elephant gone horribly, horribly wrong. But no.

"It's a dung beetle! And it's rolling a ball of dung into a hole! They do this backwards and then they lay eggs inside the dung. Wanna see?"

*pause* "Wanna see what?"

"The eggs, of course!"

Serious points were given for creativity and scientific accuracy. A dung beetle. Whoda thunk?

1 comment:

Beth said...

HAHHHAHHAHHAHHA!!! It's oddly like doing arts with my children..