Tuesday, June 21, 2011

When My Son Cries

My son doesn't often cry.  He throws tantrums where tears are involved, but he doesn't often reach the point of sadness where he actually cries.

Today, my son cried.  The cause?  Global warming.

My children have never known a time when global warming hasn't been a concern in the world at large, and yet wherever we go, they see people consuming our finite resources without a second thought.  M1 would love to have Oz install solar panels on the house or a wind turbine in the back yard; those aren't likely to happen, but Oz is seriously considering a geothermal climate control system if we are ever able to build a house.  As soon as he was old enough, M1 insisted that we recycle as much as possible - not much in our area, if I'm honest.  Most of the local drop-off recycling locations don't even accept boxes, and if you live within city limits, you have to pay extra to have recycling pick-up (again, no boxes accepted).  My boy will always pick organic over traditional foods because he knows they're better for the environment.  He really works hard to do his part.

In short, M1 knows what global warming can eventually do to our planet, and it scares him.  When he was in my lap in tears today, he was so angry that "people don't care about anything smaller than them, anything they can't domesticate."  To him, this means reptiles, amphibians, and bugs, but in general, he's right.  We don't take care of these things like we should, and it's up to us to keep the 'greening' process moving in the right direction.  As he gets older and more knowledgeable about alternatives, he asks questions that are harder and harder for me to answer.

He's currently sitting on the other couch composing an e-mail to send to all his family members to ask them to do their part to save the planet.  For us adults, "save the planet" is a cliche we've heard a million times and we're all pretty much immune to it.  "I'm doing my part," we shrug... but are we really?

Because this is so important to my son, can you all reply with one or two things that you're doing to help our earth?  I hate that my boy thinks nobody cares, and I need some things to point to.  I don't want him to cry any more.

6 comments:

Christy said...

I love your sweet boy! I have recently begun to recycle as much as I can. I do it for my sensitive girl and I will try harder for your boy. :) We water and mow at times and on days that are better for the air quality. I try very hard not to drive around on ozone alert days and I turn off the water while I brush my teeth. :) Hope it helps the earth and M1! :D

rowan said...

You brought me to tears with your heartfelt plea. It's a challenge, but you are a good mama!!

We turn off lights/electronics when no one is in the room. We set our thermostat higher in the summer and cooler in the winter. Recycling isn't available where we live, so we can't do much along that avenue. Hope it helps.

Mom on the Verge said...

We put a solar hot water heater on our roof because we live in a sunny state. It uses the Sun's light to heat all of our hot water, so the electric company doesn't have to burn coal to make electricity to heat it.

We also refuse to buy things that have too much packaging and recycle the packaging that we can't avoid.

Hang in there.

By the way, I can't post on my blog. I press the "publish button", but nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem?

Anonymous said...

Aw, we're trying to do our part here! We recycle, use public transportation or walk when we can, don't water our lawn or otherwise waste water, and grow our own organic veggies in the summer. Take heart!

--Addlepated Monkey Mama

Beth said...

We recycle, never water the yard (because it IS a waste and it's a yard and never put anything on it), are attempting a pitiful garden, don't drive much (mostly because we don't go much of anywhere, but still), don't get gas or mow or go anywhere on ozone days. I've looked into where to recycle cardboard but can't find anywhere locally. We conserve bath water for the kids (I like to call it "skipping bath days and combining baths") they don't need a bath every single day and they certainly don't need a full tub on their own yet. And I SO don't want to PAY for that either. (Nor will either child actually touch dirt.)

Anonymous said...

His Aunt Andrea and Uncle Jay ride bicycles to work in good weather, and Aunt Andrea gave up her car because a scooter can carry one person and is much much more efficient (and less costly). We recycle, shop at the local farmer's market once a month, and put our draining electronic devices like the TV/DVD player, etc., on power strips that we turn off when we don't use them. We also use an electric mower rather than gas and maintain a compost pile. Someday, Uncle Jay wants to build a house out of earth and recycled materials and use geothermal energy to heat and cool it! There are people out there who care - even in Oklahoma. I'm sorry he feels isolated; I hope this lets him know He Has a Voice!