Sunday, January 8, 2012

Married Too Long

Over the past month, it has been determined that Oz and I have been married too long.  For example, about 10 minutes ago, Oz was showing me a very pretty, color-coded, handy-dandy diagram he made of a massive server install he's doing for a local corporation, and I glanced at the clock.  I didn't stare at it.  I didn't mumble about the time.  I just glanced at it.

"It's set to record at 8 o'clock," Oz immediately assured me.  "So even if you don't get the TV turned on immediately, it'll record.  And it's set up to record all the episodes over the next few weeks in case we get busy or forget."

That's right.  My husband knew that I was checking to make sure I hadn't missed the start of Downton Abbey Season 2.

A few weeks ago, we were sitting at the dining room table when M1 made an off-the-cuff comment about something.  It wasn't all that funny, but Oz and I started laughing at the same time.  Since my brain had pulled up a very random movie reference that had absolutely nothing to do with M1's comment, I assumed we were laughing about different things... until Oz started quoting the exact same movie reference I'd been thinking of.

This, of course, made me laugh even harder.

We've gotten to the point in our marriage where we can finish one another's sentences even when they don't make sense.  We can have entire conversations filled with things like, "It's like the guy from [insert TV show or movie] when he does X."  "Oh, yeah!  When he says, [quote]?"  "Yes, exactly!"  We sing most of the same songs together when we're in the car, and we know each other's tastes in just about everything (wine, mattresses, snacks, movies, music, and clothes, among other things) to predict what the other will and won't like.

We've memorized all the little quirks and idiosyncrasies that each of us has, and we know what to expect from each of them.  For example, if I put down my book or computer and sit perfectly still for a minute, Oz knows that he's due for a pouncing and will move things out of the way so I can dive safely into his lap.  If Oz stares at the cat Dorian Gray for any length of time, I know to keep my feet out of the way so Dory can bolt when Oz does whatever it is that he's planning to do (Dorian has a severe inferiority/anxiety complex when it comes to Oz).

I guess this is what happens after nearly a dozen years of marriage.  Not to say that we don't argue.  We argue.  And there are things that will always annoy him about me and vice versa.  He still can't understand that Pepsi is better than Coke and why the Bears are an unacceptable football team to root for.  I don't understand his fascination with Elton John.

I s'pose when we start looking like one another, that'll be the time to move on.  Until then, I'll take my comfortable marriage... but he's gotta quit reading my mind.

5 comments:

Beth said...

AWWWWW!

Wendy L. Callahan said...

Oh yeah, once everything is comfortable and harmonious, it's definitely been too long. But when you start to resemble one another, you've overstayed your welcome. ;)

Addlepated Monkey Mama said...

I can tell my husband where to find what he's looking for without him telling me what it is. It totally weirds him out, like I'm reading his mind or something.

Addlepated Monkey Mama said...

I can tell my husband where to find what he's looking for without him telling me what it is. It totally weirds him out, like I'm reading his mind or something.

Glimmering Girl said...

I love this stage of our marriage too. After 10 1/2 years, we are in a very similar place.