Friday, January 20, 2012

Validation

M1 had what he declared to be an "awesome" day yesterday.  And it was a good day.  He got up incredibly motivated to get his schoolwork done, so it was completely finished by 11 a.m.  Considering the fact that Wednesday saw him still lollygagging through his work at 5 p.m., that was an amazing accomplishment.  We went to his swimming lesson, and he managed to impress his teacher by mastering a kick that he has struggled with for months.  He has the hardest time NOT pointing his feet, but he did it yesterday.  Then after his swim team practice, the coach caught up with him in the locker room and complimented him on his progress - said he was getting faster and stronger.  M1 was beaming when he emerged.

He was polite, respectful, and kind to his sister.  He did get in trouble once, when I found him playing with my shaving cream in the shower (doing what, I don't even know), but it wasn't a really big thing... just annoying.

It was wonderful to see what he is truly capable of doing.  When I pointed out that he was having a really good day and that I was proud of him, he told me, "I'm growing up, Mom.  I really am working on myself."  This is big for him.

Now we just have to see if he can do this two days in a row... because so far, today has been more like Wednesday than yesterday.  And Wednesday was not good.

We'll get there.  One day at a time.  Just keep swimming... :)

1 comment:

Addlepated Monkey Mama said...

Good days = LIKE!

I periodically find my son mixing up "potions" in the bathroom. I've developed a sixth sense for when he has been too long and should be checked on. :)