Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cooking Lessons, Week Two

OK, so I said last week that we were going to make runsas/bierocks this week for our cooking lesson.  However, life happened, and today was a really, truly, awfully horrific school day, and making dough was not on the agenda.  I did, however, go rip out the crap that was in my front garden.  It made for great stress relief so that I could come inside and help the kids make...

PIZZA.

Without biting anyone's head off.

First they helped me put some ingredients into the bread machine so that it could make the dough for me.  I'm all for ease of preparation.

Then I told M1 his job this week was to chop everything:


He started with onion, then moved to olives, both black and kalamata, then continued with bell pepper and finished up with chopping...


... the bacon that M2 cooked on the stove.  Her job this week was to saute everything to go on the dough once it was prepared (my job).  She was a little nervous about the bacon because of the spatter, but she did great.  We cooked some of the onion as well as some spinach in the bacon fat, and then I put some sausage in the pan.  We always have to make two pizzas at a time; my family would starve if I tried to feed them just one.

This week's pizzas were Greek (kalamata and black olives, onion, spinach, feta cheese, and bacon with olive oil as the sauce) and "American" (sausage, onion, bell pepper, olives, and mozzarella cheese with your basic tomato sauce).


The kids took their jobs very seriously.  In fact, they were so intent on what they were doing...


... that when I called them, they both looked up in complete surprise.  It's probably a good thing that I broke their concentration, though, because I wasn't the only one stalking them.


Tempest was being a hopeful cat.  M2 promptly hollered at her, and she disappeared.

In the end, I stretched out the dough, and M2 put together the Greek pizza. M1 assembled the sausage one.



Delicious dinner.

1 comment:

Addlepated Monkey Mama said...

It's probably too late to come over for leftovers, huh? :(