Friday, October 18, 2013

It's Like 5, Only Bigger

So 11 is moodier than 10.  My male version of that age has mood swings that would happily do battle with any PMS symptoms a similarly-aged girl might have.  Some things, however, do not change no matter how old the child.

1.  The toilet issues.  I know that not flushing the toilet is a common problem among parents; we suffer from it here, too.  The next time I walk upstairs and get hit with eau de pee will not be the first... nor, I suspect, the last.  One day I hope that I can stop checking to make sure the toilet is flushed whenever I tuck the kids into bed.  I fear it will come the day after they move out.

2. The 'I'm tired/hungry/stressed' tantrum.  They weren't cute when he was 3, and they certainly aren't cute now.  I do feel more inclined to laugh at them rather than take them seriously, however.  Today we took a morning trip to the zoo.  By the time we left, both kids were feeling the effects of hunger and were getting snippy with one another.

Like this... in my car

We made it home, and I fed them right as the tears began.  Normally I don't fix lunches because they're old enough and capable enough to fix their own meals, but some days, it's easier to throw food at the ravaging hordes as opposed to letting them maul one another in their efforts to feed themselves.

After eating, Doodlebug disappeared upstairs, which is never a good sign.  He had to finish his schoolwork for the week, so I had to have Boo go retrieve him.  He wasn't quite asleep, but it was close.  There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth before he finally woke up fully and settled down.  I suspect tomorrow will be another Day o' Tantrums because of overtiredness.  It is what it is.  As long as he doesn't have any night terrors (and yes, even at 11, those haven't stopped, either... they're rare, but they're still frightening.  Imagine hearing a blood-curdling scream coming from your child's room in the middle of the night.  Yeah... that.  He goes back to sleep - because he was never awake - and the rest of us sit around and stare wide-eyed at the walls for the remainder of the nocturnal hours.)

3.  The odd noises and sound effects.  Life is still narrated.  Noises come out of the boy that no self-respecting girl would ever emit.  (This isn't meant to be a gender-biased statement, but I seriously have never heard a girl make sound effects to the extent that boys do.  The occasional, "KABLOW!" Yes.  The odd farting noise?  Sure.  Grunts and squeaks and groans and bomb sounds and car engine rumbles and everything else... I'm pretty sure those belong firmly in the male dominion.)

4.  Whining about chores.  It's actually getting worse with age.  To be fair, I'd whine about chores too if I thought it'd do any good.

There are lots of good things, too, but these are the ones that stand out as the most notable/amusing to me.  The more kids change, the more they stay the same.

4 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

1. Around here this issue seems to have gotten better.

2. Groan. Sounds like it would be better to leave them at the zoo and let them be fed the way the animals are!

Sarah said...

It was tempting. I think the girl would have sat and watched the lion-headed tamarins all day. The boy would happily be a reptile keeper... and would eat mealworms, too. I've seen him do it. Very tempting.

Common Household Mom said...

I have to completely take back what I said in #1. My two older kids are home from college. Today Oldest (20 yrs old) said to youngest (14 yrs old), "Whoever didn't remember to FLUSH THE TOILET is just DISGUSTING!"

Beth said...

I had to start keeping water bottles and snacks in the car when we moved and the drive was longer everywhere to and from our new house. The *I'm STARVING/THIRSTY* fits of anger were coming so much more often and more vigorously it just wasn't worth it anymore. The tide-me-overs at least keeps them from eating each other. And I don't even want to talk about what I found in the toilet the other day..