Friday, December 25, 2009

Blizzard in Oklahoma - Evidence and Aftermath

So, I'm sure you remember yesterday when I mentioned that we were having a wee bit o' a blizzard around here. We were fortunate and didn't lose power, though some folks down the street did. When we lose power, we're usually without it for quite a while since our electric company has the majority of its customers in an entirely different metro area and prefer to get them back online first.

Where's the justice, I ask??

However, since our lights were shining all night long, I was able to get a few good shots of the sleet/snow/wind as it blew in from what seemed like all directions for many, many hours. The shots yesterday were taken at about 1:30 p.m.


By 3:30, the snow had blown in and the wind was kicking up. Those horses you see are the neighbor's, and they're not that far away. The wind was just blowing the snow that much!

By 6:30 p.m., the front porch had a fair amount of snow on it, and the steps were pretty well-covered.

By 9:45 p.m., the steps were officially covered and the snow had drifted... seriously drifted.

The drift was so big it extended all the way across the front of the house and past the garage, blocking the gate to the back yard quite effectively.

Did I mention my porch faces south? South. I've seen rain blow in from the south but never snow. This was a first for me. Oz got a kick out of it.

One last huzzah for the snow before it finally gave up the ghost around 11. All in all, for our neck of the woods, it was quite a long snowstorm.

When we got up this morning, Christmas morning, this is what we found. That snowdrift was nearly 30 inches tall. There were 'dunes' of snow across the yard, so in one spot you'd be standing in 2-3 inches of snow. Then you'd take two steps to the left and be up to your knees. Thank heaven Mama has a good pair of snowboots!

Despite the fact that it was Christmas Day (and yes, there are pictures of gifts and food forthcoming), the children thought it would be delightful to go out in sub-freezing temperatures and test out the snow.

The kittens weren't as thrilled about the concept, but they got tossed in, anyway. Since I was participating in the tossing, no pictures of this are available, but let me assure you that it is officially hilarious to watch a fuzzy gray kitten get balls of snow in her tail and try to twitch it in anger. MOST amusing.
M1 wasn't too sure about this whole 'deep snow' bit. He's my cautious one and had to test every step before he'd go there. This theory only worked until he realized that you sink a lot deeper when you finally put your full weight on the foot in question.

M2, on the other hand, bounded her way into snowdrifts that she couldn't get out of without help. I think I spent as much time hauling her OUT of the dunes as she did getting INto them. She was a most enthusiastic snow angel maker, even if she did only make one to her brother's very scientifically and strategically-located two.

Still testing out the 'waters.' I'd have snowman and snow fort pictures to show except this snow was perfect powder, horrid for snowballs and snowmen. Skiers - eat your heart out.

Off to watch M1's new Wallace & Gromit movie and eat popcorn and red velvet cake for supper! Merry Christmas, everyone!

2 comments:

Habebi said...

OMG I would've paid money to see the kittens thrown in! Those are some serious drifts you all have going there. Amazing! Hope you all had a Happy Christmas day!

Carina said...

I spent the last several months explaining to my children that, since we live in OK, Christmas does not equal snow. I didn't want them to be disappointed. Now I'm going to have to go through it all again next year.

It certainly was beautiful to wake up to, though! They loved it!