Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I Need HELP.

First it was the orthopedic surgeon for my 3-month-old's extra toes.

Then it was the pediatric ophthalmologist for my 2-year-old's strabismus.

Then the ENT for my 9-month-old's tubes and 5-year-old's tonsils and adenoids.

Last month, it was the ENT again for the Earberry Incident.

Throw in the psychiatrist and psychologist, and I have a plethora of phone numbers in my contact list that aren't in the phone book of a "normal" parent.

I took the kids to the dentist today for their regular six-month check-ups.

M2 came out with flying colors. No cavities, all beautiful, great brushing, yadda yadda yadda.

Poor M1.

The hygienist stuck a small camera (seriously tiny, it looked like just another suction tube) in his mouth and took a photo that instantly appeared on the TV screen at the foot of the chair. There were a couple of dark spots on the back side of one of his front teeth which I just assumed were cavities.

"Is that a cavity?" M1 asked nervously.

"I'm not sure," said the hygienist as she checked the x-rays.

I figured she was just being nice. When the dentist came in, though, she said something about "#10" and "looks like reabsorption."

"An adult tooth?" he asked, sounding rather confused.

He asked if the tooth had recently had trauma (no, not that I'm aware of). He checked it out, muttered something, and proclaimed, "You're going to have to go see an endodontist. This is really rare in kids. [This doctor] is the only one in [town] that deals with kids, which I don't get because they're just little people, but anyway, she's really good, good with kids, good with teeth, really good. We'll get you here number up front. She'll have to look at it to diagnose it, but it looks like the tooth is reabsorbing itself."

Oh, gawd.

So now I get to add "endodontist" to my list of doctors.

Our consultation is next Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes.

-----

P.S. If you have a second, could you go to this web site (News On 6 Kitchen Makeover) and vote for the photo by elise1mds? I could use a kitchen makeover right about now. Thanks.

1 comment:

Mom on the Verge said...

I would be worried that I would forget what an endodontist is before the next time I needed her. ;)

How do "working" moms keep up with all this shit?! I mean, really -- one full-time job is enough for me!!

BTW, I tried to vote for your kitchen, but it wasn't clear how...