Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary...

So I get on here, have a good rant, and then what happens? The next day comes.

And as inevitably happens, after a bad day, there comes a good one.

Almost too good.

You know the kind I mean? The kids woke up happy, which never happens around here especially when it's dark outside, and nobody dashed down the hall to open the other's bedroom door while the other child was in the middle of getting dressed, which is usually what happens and is punctuated by a shriek and "MOM!!!" while the culprit runs giggling back to his room. Nobody tried to kick each other under the breakfast table. Nobody spilled their milk. M2 put MATCHING barrettes in her hair, which is a first in my book. I didn't even think matching barrettes had survived in this house, because she loves to take ONE of a pair to her room and hide it in a drawer or jewelry box or put it in the hair of a purple plastic pony... then she leaves the other in the bathroom where it's supposed to be. Someday I'm going to set up a singles party for all these lonely barrettes. Nobody tried to kick each other while putting shoes on. Nobody tried to kick each other on the way to school.

We got back home, and M1 has been spectacular. He has focused on math, focused on writing, focused on grammar and truly surprised me when he was able to recite half of a long poem that I had asked him to work on memorizing last week but had forgotten to remind him about and didn't expect him to get past the first couplet. He's doing art now, getting frustrated but refusing to give up. He got excited when I mentioned piano because we get to start a new book today. (And of course he's always excited when I say the word 'science.')

I know sometimes I get grumpy. It *is* hard for me to remember that my giant dude is 8 sometimes and that my giant girl is 5. I try not to expect too much of them, but sometimes I get carried away by their size and intermittent bouts of maturity.

I have good kids, there's no doubt in my mind about that. I just get frustrated with feeling like a broken record player. I know I'm not alone, and that makes it better.

Off to piano. He's setting up without me. Even if this good morning doesn't last all day (and of course it won't, because they're kids), at least I have a record of it!!

Tomorrow I hope to share with you a small excerpt from my NaNoWriMo novel, if you're interested. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Mom on the Verge said...

Take pictures. You'll want evidence later!!

Kelley said...

*hugs*