Thursday, July 29, 2010

Food bloggin' time!

I love food. There is no good reason why I shouldn't weigh twice what I do given the Foodiness of Me. There's just something zen about getting into the kitchen and creating good food, whether it's a classic, heart-warming, soul-soothing dish or something completely unique that nobody else has ever heard of.

The other day I felt the urge to create a blueberry sky pie. I hadn't made one in the entire 10 years that Oz and I have been together, and he'd never even heard of it. I have discovered most people haven't. I'm not even sure where I first heard of it, but I knew what it was supposed to taste like and roughly what was supposed to go in it, so when I found this recipe on Cooks.com, I ran with it.

Start with graham cracker crusts. The recipe makes two pies (plus a little more) so plan accordingly.


These plus some blueberry pie filling are all the ingredients you'll need.

Yes, I made my own blueberry pie filling with the berries the kids and I picked a few months ago. And I made the crusts.

Cooking is zen. Usually because I tend to ignore the children and their shenanigans while I'm cooking, but I made the crusts after they went to bed one night, so clearly I get more out of it than a moment's peace and quiet.
Mix together the softened cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and frozen lemonade.

Fold in the whipped topping. Resist the temptation to lick the spatula. Lick the inside of the whipped topping container instead because something's gotta give.

Add the blueberry pie filling and fold that in, too.

Drool.
Overfill both pie shells, add lids, and refrigerate.

Eyeball what's left and think about giving it to the kids because that'd make you the BEST MOM EVER.

Remember that you're supposed to be on a diet and then wonder why you put yourself on a diet the same day you plan to make pie and figure that if you're going to be that self-defeating in the first 24 hours that you deserve every ounce you've ever put on.

Eat the leftovers.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mom on the Verge said...

You had me right up until "sweetened condensed milk". There's something sinister about that stuff...