Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Of Mice and Miniature Men

The house was silent. I was parked on the couch, quietly reading a book. M1 was in bed napping (no, seriously, sound asleep). And from the kitchen there came sounds.

Whumpa whack whumpa thump skitterskitterskitter

Now usually, after noises like this, at least one cat will come tearing through the living room on the way to hide in my bedroom, where either A) both cats repeat the process and they shoot back out to the kitchen or B) the lone cat comes back out to figure out why he or she wasn't being properly chased, and the process repeats again anyway.

This time, I got nuthin'.

"Mouse," I thought.

But I didn't really want to go investigate. I was hoping that it wasn't a mouse or, if it was, that it was dying a quick, relatively painless death.

When I woke M1 up and we got ready to go get M2, two cats were hovering over a very small spot in the laundry room.

"What is it?" I asked M1.

"A mouse," he stated, as if this happens every day. (It doesn't.) "And I think it's still alive."

Oh God.

The mouse was indeed alive but was also, thankfully, still in one piece. I had to fight a growling cat for it, but I scooped it up in a paper cup and tossed it outside. I don't know whether it will live or die (something I don't want to think about), but at least I won't have regurgitated entrails somewhere on my carpet.

-----

Oz and I had talked last night and decided that we put the kids to bed too early on school nights. Their weeknight bedtime has long been between 7 and 7:30. I know that my family and Oz's family all think this is insanely early, but between M1's desperate need for mass quantities of sleep, M2's young age and early-bird-ness, and my former job, 7-7:30 was a perfect bedtime for them. That's no longer true. M1 still needs sleep, but he hardly ever falls asleep before 8 or 8:30 unless he's thoroughly worn out. M2 is still an early bird but is also a night owl because she just flat doesn't need as much sleep as her somnolent brother. And I don't have a night job any more.

So we thought that starting tonight we'd move their bedtime back to somewhere around 8. Especially since M1 had taken a nap, both kids should have been easily up to this... right?

*rolls with laughter*

Is anything ever that simple?

The first step was fixing a late dinner. I was aiming for 7, so that we could at least maintain the bedtime routine after the meal was over. It would simply be later. However, at 6 o'clock, our normal mealtime, M2 insisted she was "starving." Since I was fixing a simple dinner of fish tacos, I headed to the kitchen and had it ready before 6:30.

By the end of the meal, M1 was *done.* Checked out, timed out, clocked out, DONE. To the point that he was about to chunk his wooden napkin ring at his sister and shrieked like a banshee when I caught him at it. Yeesh. I had saved some science work (meteorology/forecasting) to be done this evening, so we did that, but he went to bed shortly after 7. Just like normal. M2? Well, she got to stay up a bit later so I could read her a book entitled "Wobble the Witch Cat" about a cat and his witch, aptly named Maggie. She loved it. But she was in bed shortly after 7:30.

First day of staying up later? FAIL.

Eventually it'll work. I'm not deterred. Just amused. The best-laid plans and all that.

Off to celebrate National Margarita Day!

2 comments:

Beth said...

That's EXACTLY what happened to us when we tried to move 1 & 2's bedtime back. EPIC fail. Hence their bedtime is still between 7-7:30 as well..

Mom on the Verge said...

Good luck! You're sure you want to change?

And why didn't anyone tell me it was National Margerita Day?! (Please tell me you weren't kidding!)