Friday, December 10, 2010

I Am Unanimous!

OK, so if you're not a big fan of Britcoms like I am, you probably have no idea who Mrs. Slocombe is and why she's unanimous in herself. But if you've seen her, you'll understand.

I am currently unanimous in my hatred of this weather and today. I'm in a funk. I don't like cloudy, cold, blah winter weather. I feel like yelling at the sky, "Either snow or skip straight to spring already!!"

I've spent the last two days in agony because the left side of my head, jaw, neck, and shoulder went into revolt and were trying to physically rip themselves away from my body, and I have discovered that sort of pain is rather excruciating. I could talk. I could eat. I just couldn't move my head. I especially couldn't bend forward without holding my jaw in place, which amused M1 greatly when I was studying music books at Mardel and they happened to be on the bottom shelf. It was all a very interesting phenomenon. The pain is magically gone today, but now I'm staring at my house that has been horribly, horribly neglected over the past week and starting to wonder how much junk I can donate to Goodwill before they actually tell me to quit bringing things in. And how wrong is it to tell your husband and two children that NO FUN THINGS are going to happen until everyone spends three solid hours helping Mama clean the house on a Saturday morning in December? Because ugh.

How bad is it? A spider took up residence on my stove yesterday. My stove that hasn't been properly cleaned since I cooked rice for something over a week ago and it of course overflowed. I discovered the spider when I turned on the fire under the teapot and watched it skitter across the back of the stove, away from the heat. I might have skittered away, too. M1 finally took care of it for me with a spatula that I promptly insisted he place in the dishwasher because I ain't eatin' no spider-feet germs.

The laundry is piled four loads deep in the utility room. It would be five, but I actually did manage to get one load into the washer. It sits there still. I should get up and go put it in the dryer, huh?

The dishes in the sink are overflowing, too. I did put some of them in the dishwasher this morning in a vain attempt to get something done, but now I don't want to take the dishes out of the dishwasher.

I have a long list of errands I need to run today, and I don't want to do them. Except that I have to because we need milk. And salt. And lunch meat. And cat food. And any sort of human food for breakfast because right now all we have is cereal... and we don't have milk to go on it. I really don't want to go get chicken feed, because A) I don't want to have to talk to people and B) I don't feel like lifting a 50-lb. bag of chicken feed out of the back of my van. Dead weight is hard to heft. What I really wanted to do today was go to the Christmas meetup my mom's group is having as I type this, but since I didn't get to the store and M1 is still doing schoolwork, clearly it's not happening. At least I realized the folly of trying early enough that I could change my RSVP.

The cat fur on the floor is multiplying and begging to be swept, and the toothpaste all over the bathroom counter is spreading and needs to be cleaned. There's also toothpaste in the soap dish, courtesy of my children.

It's been that sort of week.

I think I might have Russian food for lunch. Or Caribbean food. Assuming by "food," I really mean "liquor."

I'll be more cheerful in a day or two. I just have to get out of the funk first. Wheee...

3 comments:

Beth said...

Oy Vey!!!

Mom on the Verge said...

Sorry to hear about the disaster area. Take it in little chunks. "I can't clean the kitchen, but I can empty the sink." And I swear laundry has a reproductive life of its own.

Hang in there!!

Brilliant Creations said...

Oh, I can *so* relate!