Friday, December 31, 2010

How I Spent New Year's Eve... Eve

Yesterday was beautiful. The kids woke up late. We had a quick breakfast, lounged around for a while, I organized to sell some eggs to some friends because a complete lack of buyers over the Christmas holiday had left me with a vast surplus, and then we headed out. We went to a restaurant for lunch and then took the kids to Border's because I'm a complete book whore and am attempting to make the kids into them, too. Does that make me a book pimp?

When we got to the bookstore, M1 said something about having drunk enough Sierra Mist at the restaurant that he was going to throw up, but he seemed fine and picked out a couple of books - a complete visual encyclopedia of armored war vehicles and "The Phantom Tollbooth" - and so I figured it was nothing.

I wrenched my knee, we delivered eggs, we came home, I read a book while the kids played outside and Oz took down the outside Christmas lights, we watched TV and ate dinner...

And then the boy threw up and the girl freaked out about going to sleep because her nightmares have apparently returned, and while I'm trying to downplay them and give her the mental tools to make them go away on her own, she's still wiggin'. So I got her to go back to bed, and then the boy hurled again.

I didn't know vomit could have a HEIGHT radius. I'd never seen it four feet up a door before. Urp inside door hinges is a complete #*@%^ to clean. Between cleaning floors, doors, and keeping up with the general malaise he felt, it took me till 11 o'clock to get him to sleep.

I breathed a sigh of relief... 30 seconds too soon. The girl woke up and started crying because she thought the bad dreams were going to come get her again. Apparently this particular dream scared the bejeezus out of her, which isn't a good sign because she also got INCREDIBLY clingy at the bookstore when I told her no about something and almost lost her mind when we had company on Friday, which isn't like her at all and reminds me of the rigamarole we went through earlier this year... 2010... with the tantrums and such, and I'm having flashbacks and hoping against hope that this isn't a cycle. However, I got her to smile at the thought of her gerbil named Prince and the kindergarten class guinea pig named Princess talking to each other in Rodent Language, and she went back to sleep.

So I went to sleep.

The boy woke up at 2:13 and yakked on his bed, so I got to pull sheet duty, which was fine until I started the washer and realized that we were nearly out of laundry detergent, which when you have an Urper is NOT GOOD, so then I got to wake Poor Oz up and ask him to go to the store at 3 a.m. to get laundry detergent and Pepto-Bismol (and other stuff, but those were the big things). And he did this for me, which just goes to show how much of a keeper he is.

While he was gone, I tried to go back to sleep, but it was a lost cause. Just as I started to drift off, I heard, "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."





[Expletive] smoke alarm, I thought to myself. So I rolled over to text Oz and let him know that when he stepped in the back door, he'd need to grab some batteries to replace the ones that clearly were dying. Except that my phone refused to turn on. I knew it *had* been working because I'd texted Oz the shopping list half an hour earlier because nobody remembers a shopping list at 3 a.m., but now... nothing. I tried plugging it in, even though it had been charging since I went to bed and should have been fully charged, but nothing happened. I tried turning it off but got no response from that, either. Finally I sighed and decided to go throw the laundry into the dryer, watched a giant flash of lightning light up the bedroom windows, cursed to myself, and headed to the back door just in time to hear Oz finish swapping out the laundry himself.

Did I mention the blasted alarm was still beeping?

Turns out it was the CO detector that was beeping and giving the message "ERR - E09." I have no idea what that means other than that it's probably dead. Of course that couldn't have happened BEFORE Oz went to the store.


Oz went to try to sleep on the couch, and I tried to get back to sleep, too, after I doped the boy up on Pepto.

No such luck. There was a storm, for one, and as soon as that was about over, the boy donated the Pepto to the carpet and spent most of the rest of the night huddled in the bathroom in his underwear with the room heater on full blast because he had the chills. The girl got up about 5:15 to use the bathroom. I think the boy and I both sacked out about 6. I don't think Oz slept at all before he left to go help his brothers move into a new apartment, but I woke up at 9 to the girl and the boy talking in the living room, where the girl very much was hungry and the boy very much wasn't.


The boy is asleep on the other couch right now. The girl is doing a puzzle and singing and talking nonstop. The man is waking up from a nap. And somewhere from the utility room, the dryer is working on load #5 (load #6 is hanging up to dry). The dishwasher needs to be emptied, too.

The temperature is dropping like a rock outside, and it's getting cloudy again, too. I do believe that New Year's Eve is going to have to be a non-celebration tonight. If this is what 2011 is going to be like, I'm going to crawl under a rock NOW. Wake me for 2012.

1 comment:

Mom on the Verge said...

OH MY GOD. All in one day?! Get some rest -- who knows when the next shoe will drop...