Friday, December 17, 2010

Recital Season

'Tis the season...

For recitals.

Fa-la-la and all that jazz.

M1 doesn't have recitals. He's quite happy about this. The closest he came this year was a commercial that he wrote, directed, and performed in. I'll post that in a day or two.

M2, however, loves recitals. She gets incredibly excited about the notion of showing off to anyone. Whoda thunk??

We started at the beginning of the month with her violin recital.

I love to brag on her and her violin skillz. She's no prodigy, but for a 5-year-old, I think she does pretty well! She's the youngest in her group by a couple of years, but she keeps up admirably.

The concert was roughly divided by skill level. They started with the easy stuff, then she and her groupmates and the brand-spankin'-new students sat down while the older kids played a few songs, and then there were a few songs at the end that she also knew, Jingle Bells being one of them.

I loved watching her stand up there with the 'big kids' when not everyone in her group was. I try not to be one of 'those' parents, but sometimes I get a little carried away when I talk about her. She simply amazes me, and I love watching her learn.

Then we had her school play/concert on Thursday.


Mom, do we *have* to be here??

Yes, Son. And you will live.


That's my girl there in the front row in her new Christmas dress with a sheep 'costume' over it. She's supposed to be wearing a hat like the little boy next to her, but she decided she didn't want to because it might mess up her hair. She's nothing if not vain! All the kids in the front row are her classmates, and everyone did a fantastic job. It was the best play I've seen the school do.

This is her in her non-speaking role as sheep. Hence the hat she was supposed to wear. I wish I had gotten a shot of the little boy in her class who had a solo and stole the entire show, but I didn't. Let's just say he got a standing ovation all to himself. He's truly a cutie.

And the best part of it all?

She didn't cry once!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

We had a dance recital in which my child was only in one dance, AFTER the intermission. Then we had to sit through the rest of it because she wanted to see her friends. Torture!

Brilliant Creations said...

It really was the best play ever. They were both adorable! I'll forward you a video when MIL posts one. I love my nephew. :)

Mom on the Verge said...

Sounds like she's hanging in there and having a LOT OF FUN! I feel for M1 -- it stinks to go to recitals when you don't want to be there.