Saturday, September 4, 2010

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Just for fun, here are 10 random things about me to keep you going through this long weekend. Hope everyone stays safe and has a great one!

1. I do not like chocolate milk. I do not like it, Sam I Am. I really don't like chocolate ice cream, either, with the exception of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food which isn't really chocolate ice cream so much as it is a melted 3 Musketeers bar with chunky fish-shaped chocolate bits in it. I realize this makes me weird. Have you read this blog? It shouldn't be a surprise.

2. I would love to have a Savannah cat. I think they're gorgeous. Plus, you can teach them to play fetch and walk on a leash. I'd love to take one to a park just to taunt the dogs. I'm ornery like that.

3. I have decided what I want my third tattoo to be. The problem is it'll take up most of my back, and I haven't quite convinced myself I'm ready to take the ink that far yet. I also have to save the cash and convince Oz it's a good idea. I think if I can talk Oz into getting his first tattoo at the same time, he might go a little easier on me. Ha. Hahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I slay myself.

4. I love hot showers and baths. Not just tepid or slightly-warm-to-almost-maybe-hot but turn-your-skin-red, close-to-scalding hot. The kind of hot where you pour a bath and have to wait for it to cool down a bit so you don't actually poach yourself. When the kids were tiny, I had the water heater thermostat set so that it couldn't get very hot. Now that they are older and know to test the water, I'm slowly cranking it up. Oz likes his water barely warm, and if he climbs into the shower after I've been in there, he wonders how I have skin LEFT for tattoos.

5. I love jigsaw puzzles. I love cats. The two do not mix, but I try anyway. I'm a sucker for the unmanageable.

6. I don't really like homemade sandwiches. I have no idea why. It's not like I ate a ton of them as a child. I just don't like them. Unless there are potato chips on it. A bologna sandwich with potato chips is next to godliness.

7. I cannot watch horror movies. The last one I saw was "Scream 2." I'd say the last one was "The Blair Witch Project," but honestly that wasn't a horror movie. I'm still not sure what it was other than completely boring and not scary at all. Anyway, after that my anxiety flared up, and I haven't been able to watch a horror movie since. That being said, I am fascinated with the paranormal and watch "Ghost Hunters" religiously. I also am quite happy to watch documentaries on Jack the Ripper and other serial killers. I fear the fake and relish the real. Go figure.

8. I don't like carrying a purse. Coach, Prada, and other famous brands hold no fascination for me. I've carried one off and on throughout my teen and adult life, but I always wind up back where I started which is with my wallet in my back pocket, my phone in my front pocket, and my keys attached to my belt loop (or backpack, back in the day). I have a small denim purse that I'm using right now, and I'm keeping it pared down to the bare essentials - the three items already mentioned, M1's inhaler, and a pair of sunglasses. The End. Amen.

9. Every time I watch Star Wars and hear, "May the Force be with you," I automatically think, "And also with you." My liturgical church background runs deep.

10. I am very responsive to smells. I could write a whole blog post on just this topic and probably will one day, but it's why I can go into Yankee Candle and spend oodles of dough. The smells are just heavenly. I think my children have inherited this love. Given my love for baking, it's a good thing.

1 comment:

Betty Marie said...

Great blog! I really enjoy your humor and expressions and transparency. I'm with you on the hot baths/showers and the sandwiches... and your liturgical comment cracks me up!! One night I was tired and saying a quick prayer before sleeping and it went, "Thank you Lord for this day and bless it to the nourishment of my body." Funny how prayers and rituals stick with us...