Friday, September 24, 2010

Notes from a Fried Brain

1.  Having a vegetarian in the house is both good and bad.  It is making me take a closer look at my weekly menu to make sure I can tweak each recipe or provide a quick, feasible vegetarian alternative for the boy, which is a good thing.  On the other hand, NOBODY EATS THE LEFTOVERS.  Before, all leftovers disappeared within a day or two.  Now they are sitting in the fridge because the girl is at school, Oz is at work, and I can only eat so much in one day.  It's perplexing, and I haven't yet worked out a solution.

2.  Navy slacks for girls are a $@&#% to find.  I have shopped at Kohl's, Walmart, and Stage.  Nada.  OK, so Walmart had some blue *leggings,* but I somehow suspect that will not pass muster.  After fall break is over in mid-October, the dress code at M2's school changes, and she will only be allowed to wear navy slacks or her jumper.  And I'm not paying for mass quantities of jumpers.  They're pricey and can't be handed down to folks outside the school, so phththththth.  Slacks it will be... if I can find them.  Target, Kmart, and Old Navy are on the list to check next.  Unless I say screw it all and find some online, which is a distinct possibility.  I can only handle so much time shopping before imminent meltdown, and I am dangerously close to that line.  Oh, and I need to find some navy sweatshirts/sweaters, too... maybe Land's End will have a sale....

3.  I have stayed up till 1 a.m. or later every night this week.  And every morning I wake up wondering why on earth I did it again.  It's a vicious cycle that involves a lot of coffee each morning before I'm human again. 

4.  My mother is coming to visit for her birthday tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to the photos.  I'm paying to have her hair done as her birthday gift, and there *will* be 'before' and 'after' pics.

5.  My children are developing diverse tastes in music.  This morning I was in a funk because I'd been up till nearly 2 and the caffeine in my coffee hadn't kicked in yet, so I set Pandora to the Rammstein station and let the kids rock out in the back seat.  Two days ago, I had a discussion about J.S. Bach with M2, and M1 constantly listens to country on his own radio.  Music is life.  I love it.

6.  I need a massage.  OK, I *want* a massage.  No, I've changed my mind again.  The massage is a need, but getting to go to an actual spa/hotel/luxury package for an entire weekend with a girlfriend or two is a want.  Let's phrase it like that.

7.  I hate laundry.

8.  I got an e-mail from my boss this morning saying I had passed my quarterly audit.  First *I'D* heard about any audit, but whatever.  It's not like I go out there and do a crappy job, so it's not too surprising I passed.  I was happy that all five random reports that they pulled were at or above the 98% accuracy required by the account, and I suspected by the tone of the e-mail that there were some who did not reach that  point, and I wondered what happens if you don't.  I'm not going to dwell on that thought.  It makes me nervous.

9.  We're up to half a dozen eggs out of the chickens.  I suspect only a couple are laying, given the fact that three are one shade of brown and three are another shade of brown.  Or I could just be hypothesizing wrong.  It's entirely possible.

10.  Oz's dad and stepmother are in town this week.  I've seen them twice so far.  The first time, Oz had taken the day off of work to hang out with his dad, and then they picked up his stepmom and we all went out to dinner.  Then the kids went to bed (school night) and the rest of us watched TV and chatted.  Then Oz took them back to their hotel.  And then he came home and informed me that his stepmom had missed the step from our sidewalk to the driveway and wiped out entirely.  She's got hurt wrists, a massive leg bruise, and a sprained ankle.  And one crutch.  Oops.  It's a good thing she loves us ;)

Hope you all have a great Friday!

3 comments:

hornblower said...

Just wanted to say that definitely massage=need.

I'm sure I read that in a textbook this week. It might have even been on the Algebra DVD. It was some long complicated equation but when you solved it all & cancelled out a bunch of stuff you end up with massage=need.

Question #2 worked out to need=chocolate

Alas, George Clooney arriving with chocolate to give a massage = mere want, no matter how I tried to work that equation. And I might have done it wrong because the answer key says 'fantasy'. Hmmm.....

Learning 4 Life said...

For navy slacks you might try a store called Citi Trends. It's located at Edison & Gilcrease in the Gilcrease shopping center. There's another store right off I-44 on Peoria called Tops & Bottoms. They have a lot of those kinds of things. Also, Crazy 8 at the mall has a lot of things... I'm just not sure what it might cost you... Maybe worth checking into it though?

Mom on the Verge said...

Old Navy has uniform pants. In case you haven't worked that out yet. I think JCPenney, too, but maybe only in the catalog. Then there's Always Ebay. :) Me like...