Thursday, May 20, 2010

Girl time and other sage thoughts

I got to have coffee with some of my girlfriends today. Is there anything better than meeting up with a few of your best friends and having coffee and laughing so hard there are tears rolling down your face while trying to keep the conversation at coffee-shop-quiet level?

Poor M1 had to tag along, not that he came out of it half bad. He brought books along to entertain himself, borrowed my phone to play games when he got bored with reading, and then I took him to the bookstore to get the second book in the "Indian in the Cupboard" series because those are now his most favorite books in the whole wide world and the first book is almost falling apart already; he's had it two months.

Anyway, so my girlfriends and I chatted. I love these women. They really do make the world go round, and they're SOOOO funny. When stories about booger walls make you want to pee your pants with laughter (after you get done throwing up in your mouth a little bit), ur doin' it right.

It makes me wonder, though, how my crazy bunch of friends got together and how on earth we all figured out we connect so well. Sure, most of us met because we were part of the same mom's group, but we are totally different and totally alike all at the same time. We range in age from 28 to 40, and with that you have all the variations of generations - music, TV, movies, etc. - that go along with it. We tease each other mercilessly and yet share the stories that add fuel to the fire without blinking. We all have pictures of each other that could be used for blackmail because what good friends don't? Blackmail photos = friend security.

-----

See, for a long time when I was young, I didn't have a lot of friends. When my family moved from a tiny town in Southeast Kansas to a suburb in Oklahoma, I was the 'new girl.' I was smart, I was quiet, I liked to read; deadly combination in fourth grade where all the cliques are already established and getting good grades is no longer cool. Plus, I made the horrid decision to wear pigtails on my first day of school. I had no idea pigtails were 'out' by fourth grade. In a class of about 40 kids, that meant I was 'out,' too. It didn't bother me too much until middle school when people started hosting parties and I was never invited. In a class of 40, there might have been five of us on the list of people not invited. Since I had been popular in Kansas, I never quite was able to get past it. Yes, you may laugh. It's kind of pathetic. At the same time, my mom was very depressed and never made friends here herself, so I didn't have the world's best example of getting past 'how things were back then' in Kansas.

-----

In high school, I met some great folks and am still VERY happy to still be able to count some of them as great friends. After I had kids, I had to find new friends who could relate to the craziness of raising miniature versions of themselves. I have no idea how I got so lucky to find such great women.

I thought again today about how lucky I am to have these women in my life. These are the ladies who would be at my funeral right up close behind my family and would be checking on my kids forever afterwards to make sure they got raised properly. They'd be the ones providing the photos to go on the boards around the casket. And as long as they keep the blackmail photos to themselves, I won't have to haunt them later :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Aw, thats nice to have friends. I dont get to see my closest friends nearly enough. Kids and distance...get in the way. Lol, also--- did you know I totally got kicked out of mommy group? I guess I didnt attend enough functions and they sent me an email saying not to come back ;)